Wednesday, October 21, 2009

3 Roads

We have a large display hutch in our living room at the Discipleship house. Today I went and got 5 pictures printed off and put them in elegant but cheap dollar store frames.

I had begun displaying pictures of the Discipleship men shortly after we lost one to a drinking and driving wreck just over a year ago.

As I put them in and rearranged with the old ones I started to feel sad, remembering three men in particular.

These three men were all at the discipleship house together just over a year ago. Within a 12 hour span, each man had called me to tell me he had relapsed on crack cocaine and was in detox.

What were the odds of that happening?

They all waited for me to give them further instructions to be able to stay at the Discipleship house. After 5 days at detox they were to enroll in the stabilization program at the Mission, stay for the month, get their heads together and come back with a renewed surrender.

A week into their stay at the Mission, two of the men gave in to the temptation to use again. Forget the Promised Land and go back to Egypt.

One of them is in jail to this day, the second lost his life soon after in a drinking and driving wreck. The third, Steph, chose to surrender completely to God. To stop running, stop fighting, drop the weapons and surrender.

Today Steph is married to a Godly woman. He serves in our church as a worship leader and operates a cleaning business with his wife.

In Steph’s picture he is sitting on a fallen cross in the middle of a field… “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13)

Pray for full surrender and that the new men in our house may see the Promised Land.

1 comment:

Andy Falleur said...

That's a powerful post bro! Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad Steph said "yes" to Jesus.